Sunday, March 19, 2006

What is it?

So you might be wondering just what is natto?

Natto is the Japanese name for cooked, fermented soy beans eaten throughout Japan but especially enjoyed by people in the Kanto area. Bacillus natto is the bacteria used to ferment the beans and transform otherwise averagve soy beans into the sticky, stringy, gooey, strong smelling mess that is in my opinion the worlds greatest breakfast food! Healthy? You bet! Natto is high in vitamin B12 and is thought to aid in the prevention of everything from heart attacks, strokes and senility to the prevention of cancer! So can I sit down to breakfast in a greasy spoon or any other morning type restaurant in Canada or anywhere else outside of Japan and say to my friendly server "yes, I will have an orange juice, some toast and a bowl of Natto
"...... nope. Can I walk to my neighborhood grocery emporium and buy some of this glorious miracle food?.......nope. So you ask what can I do to satisfy my craving for this wonderful staple of the Japanese morning tradition? Simple.... Make it myself!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am so very impressed taht you make Natto!! Natto is one of my favorite food. Lovely smell, lovely texture and it's good for you!

5:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am so very impressed taht you make Natto!! Natto is one of my favorite food. Lovely smell, lovely texture and it's good for you!

5:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog, and have been thinking about trying natto because of its vit k2, and I've read many things about unfermented soy being suspected of causing health problems if eaten long term.

But, I've been nervous about trying it because of reading about many westerners reactions to natto. So it's great that I found your blog, because you include seasoned recipes. I'm subbing 8^)

If I can get myself and my husband to enjoy regular natto using your recipes, then I hope to try making my own. You posting your mistake about taking too long to stir the natto into the beans was a very helpful hint.

If I get that far -- eating it, and making it -- then I hope to try different beans like you have, but with pinto, since I read that pinto has lower insoluble fibers and more soluble fibers, which is important to my IBS. Maybe I could even remove the skins from the pintos, like they do when making soy milk and tofu, as long as I could cook them without burning.

I wonder if natto using beans other than soy still have the same health benefits though.

I'm subbing to your blog 8^)
Shreela

8:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home